The news site of North Arlington High School

The Viking Saga

Beloved Teacher Retires

Victoria Rusman and Matthew Cross, Staff Writers

Mr. Galante is a greatly admired History teacher at North Arlington High School. As Mr. Galante prepares to retire, the students and staff can’t help but reflect on his amazing accomplishments. Mr. Galante graduated from West Orange Mountain High School in 1972. He then went on to further his education, earning a Bachelor’s Degree from Upsala College in 1976.  Mr. Galante began teaching at North Arlington High School in 1980, making this his 38th year teaching at NAHS, but his 40th year in education. Mr. Galante recalls, “When I started here, there was a 7th and 8th grade and Ronald Reagan had just been elected president!”

In addition to being an adored teacher for 38 years, Mr. Galante was also a coach that led his teams to many victories. He was an assistant football coach (defensive coordinator) from 1980-1990. In 1990, Mr. Galante served as head football coach through the 2005 season. As the winningest football coach in North Arlington history, his teams have made it to 2 state playoff appearances, 1 state final, and 1 conference championship. In fact, Mr. Galante was chosen as North Jersey Football Coach of the Year in 1994.

Moreover, Mr. Galante also served as head softball coach for 27 years.  During that time, he received Conference Coach of the Year several times. His teams saw 400 victories, 9 conference championships, 2 state championships, and 3 Bergen County Final Championship games. In 1984, Mr. Galante was selected 1st Team All American Men’s Softball Team as a 3rd baseman. He is a member of the North Arlington Athletic Hall of Fame and the ASA Hall of Fame.

Upon retirement, Mr. Galante will be able to look back at his accomplishments at North Arlington High School with great pride.  Mr. Galante has shared these noteworthy experiences with wife, Michele, for 30 years. Michele is also involved in education, as she is a middle school science teacher. Mr. and Mrs. Galante have a son, Devin. Now that Mr. Galante is retiring, he is looking forward to moving permanently to his home in the Poconos with his family. Mr. Galante plans on “returning to North Arlington High School to visit students and staff.”

Mr. Galante has contributed to the advancement of both sports and education in North Arlington, and he will be greatly missed. The students and staff of North Arlington High School wish Mr. Galante the best of luck in the next chapter of his life!

• Beloved Teacher Retires

News

North Arlington High School Students Take Their First Class at BCC

• Beloved Teacher Retires

Top Stories

Spring Concert NAHS

• Beloved Teacher Retires

Top Stories

Multicultural Night

• Beloved Teacher Retires

Top Stories

Museum of Natural History Trip

• Beloved Teacher Retires

Top Stories

Class of 2019-Semi-Formal

• Beloved Teacher Retires

Top Stories

“Houston, you have a problem”…The North Arlington High School Competition Cheerleaders are coming to take first place!

• Beloved Teacher Retires

Top Stories

Upset and Triumph in Super Bowl LI

• Beloved Teacher Retires

Top Stories

Winter Pep Rally

• Beloved Teacher Retires

Top Stories

North Arlington High School Winter Concert

• Beloved Teacher Retires

Top Stories

NHS Induction Ceremony 2016

Beloved Teacher Retires