The Viking Saga

Sports Pay Off!

Olivia Mistretta, Staff Editor

It’s no secret that playing a sport can benefit you in college. Three girls in particular here at NAHS were able to sign contracts with the schools of their choice to do athletics in college.

North Arlington’s Emily Karras received a $5,000 scholarship to row in Division 2 for Philadelphia’s Jefferson University, as well as a Merit Scholarship. Julia Lukasiewicz signed a contract to play volleyball for Felician University, and she will also be majoring in biology. Additionally, Carlie Mullins signed to play soccer in Division 3 for Fairleigh Dickinson. But how did they do it?

Emily explained, “In junior year I started talking to coaches, I talked to people at the schools I wanted to go to.”

Julia had some great advice for underclassmen looking to play in college with a contract, “You make contact; you do it yourself…Call as many times as you can, make it known that you are interested.”

Carlie also seemed to agree with the idea of reaching out to coaches directly, adding to “Definitely start early.” All of them had the same proactive approach towards furthering their education and sports careers; it goes to show how a little determination can go a long way.

Overall, Emily is looking forward to growing as an athlete and a person, as well as meeting new people. Julia wants to play throughout college and continue with her major. But let’s not forget the fun aspects of playing in college –  Carlie is looking forward to the bus rides,  soccer games and making new friends.

Their achievements can be best summarized by Mr. Hutchinson, “I’m proud and excited for these girls to play in college. They contacted their coaches, and they were really diligent in seeking out opportunities. We’re wishing them the best.”

• Sports Pay Off!

Top Stories

Annual Tri-M Induction Ceremony 2018

• Sports Pay Off!

Top Stories

Weehawken Band Festival 2018!

• Sports Pay Off!

Top Stories

Remembering Mayor Bianchi

• Sports Pay Off!

Top Stories

Meet Our New Principal, Mr. Bott!

• Sports Pay Off!

Top Stories

NAHS Band Marches in Disney World!

• Sports Pay Off!

Top Stories

Broadway’s Disney Magic Comes to NAHS

• Sports Pay Off!

Top Stories

Honoring Our Best

• Sports Pay Off!

Top Stories

Honor Society Hosts HANDS Casino Night

• Sports Pay Off!

Top Stories

‘Modern Music Masters’ Take the Stage!

• Sports Pay Off!

Top Stories

Drumming to a New Beat

The news site of North Arlington High School
Sports Pay Off!